Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Which Are the Best Books on Italy?

I have read literally thousands of books about Italy. I moved to Italy ten years ago, both before and since moving here I have been a voracious reader of all things Italian.


Since I moved to Italy many of my friends and family, not living in Italy, have asked me for tips on which books I would recommend they read. People normally tend to ask me for advice on three types of book. These are as follows:


1) Good travel guides for an upcoming vacation to Italy.


2) Eating like an Italian – which books really share the authentic recipes and cuisine of Italy.


3) The best travelogues, books in which you feel that you are right there in Italy.


One important caveat is that many books I read before moving to Italy do not reflect the reality of Italy. Many of the cook books don’t reflect authentic Italian cooking, many of the travel books don’t reflect the real Italian lifestyle.


The books I have selected are the real thing. Page after page you will find yourself transported into another world. A celebration of the extraordinary quality of life in Italy. I can assure you that the Italy you will experience in these books is little known but it is 100% genuine.


This is my first article on the subject and my first pick is the book:


The Lead Goat Veered Off


Definitely my best book about Sardinia, travel or otherwise. If you read just one book about Sardinia read this one. The book tells a very humorous tale of a three month bicycle trip around the island. Very successful at conveying a real taste of life on Sardinia – I really laughed myself silly.


If you would like to see my other picks visit:



Which Are the Best Books on Italy?

No comments:

Post a Comment